The health benefits of broccoli for babies include supply of essential minerals and vitamins, strengthening of the immune system, good for eyesight, cure for anemia, remedy for stomach ulcer, great source of anti-oxidants, remedy for diarrhea and functions as a natural laxative.
Broccoli has actually been among the preferred vegetable in the US. Broccoli belongs to cabbage household and by the looks it is really just like cauliflower. Broccoli is not a native to the Americas, but it comes from Europe. It is believed that it came from the Mediterranean region of Europe and during the middle ages till 19th century it had actually ended up being preferred in Italy. In reality, the name broccoli originates from the Italian name ‘broccolo’ meaning, ‘the flowering top of cabbage’. It was during the 19th century that it was brought into the United States. At present, in the United States, it mostly grown in states such as California, Arizona and Texas.
Broccoli is also grown around different parts of the world consisting of China, India, Spain, Italy, France, Mexico, UK, and so on. China and India are the largest manufacturers of Broccoli on the planet.
This cruciferous veggie includes fiber, folate, and calcium, and may even help fend off cancer. Introduce your baby to broccoli’s bold taste early, and you’ll be broadening his tastes and encouraging a lifelong love of green veggies.
Broccoli Benefits for Babies
Is broccoli good for babies?
There is no doubt that broccoli is among the great vegetables that can be presented to your baby. Broccoli is full of nutrients that are necessary for your baby’s development. However, there are few issues with broccoli. Though, they are not biggest difficulties none the less, they are very important. Broccoli has been listed among flatulence triggering vegetables and also it can be hard for your baby to absorb broccoli. Hence, it is better to present broccoli to your baby in between 8-10 months of age.
Health advantages of broccoli for babies
Here are some of the health benefits of providing broccoli to your baby
- Reinforces the body immune system: Broccoli being a great source of vitamin C, helps in strengthening the body immune system. Vitamin C plays an important function in enhancing the immune system and keeping your baby healthy and resistant to different diseases.
- Good for eye sight: Apart from being a good source of vitamin C, broccoli is likewise a great source of vitamin A and beta-carotene. Vitamin A and beta-carotene are highly necessary for developing great eyesight for your baby. Other nutrients such as phosphorous, B complex vitamins, which are found in broccoli, are also useful in developing good eyesight.
- Cure for anemia: Anemia is a condition where in the blood does not have needed quantities of hemoglobin. Hemoglobin, as we know is important for holding oxygen molecules and transferring them to each and every organ in the body. Iron is an important element in hemoglobin and absence of iron results in anemia. Feeding your baby regularly with broccoli reduces the opportunities of developing anemia as broccoli is rich in iron. (Craig, 1994).
- Correct for gastric ulcers: Stomach ulcers can form as a result of uncontrolled level of acidity. Though stomach produces acids for food digestion, it itself is vulnerable to the action of acid. This results in acidity and can result in gastric ulcers. When faced with stomach ulcers, broccoli soup can be provided to your baby. (Lemos, et al, 2011).
- Excellent source of antioxidants: Broccoli is a great source of antioxidants that are a vital active ingredient in any sort of diet, similarly for adults in addition to kids. Vegetables such as broccoli are a great source of anti-oxidants. These anti-oxidants are required by the body to counter act complimentary radicals that are produced during metabolic process and protect tissues, cells and DNA. (Sikora, 2012).
- Natural laxative: The presence of dietary fiber makes broccoli a crucial vegetable with natural laxative properties. The dietary fiber present in broccoli serves as a flushing agent by taking in wetness and eliminates all the pollutants from your baby’s digestion system, keeping it tidy and healthy.
- Treat for diarrhea: Diarrhea can be really unsafe for infants. Diarrhea dramatically decreases the water content in the body resulting in severe dehydration and it can be lethal in some cases of negligence. Whenever, a child is struggling with diarrhea, parents need to right away hurry to the pediatrician. Apart from this, soup of broccoli can be offered to your baby as a solution for diarrhea. (Shakar, et al, 2012).
Measures to be taken while providing broccoli to your baby
Here are some of the procedures that can be taken while offering broccoli to your baby.
- Select the best broccoli: Choosing good broccoli is crucial. Make certain that the broccoli is firm enough and weighs heavy. Heavy weight for size suggests that broccoli is healthy internally.
- Look for wetness: Checking for moisture inside the broccoli stalks can be a great way of identifying whether or not is good or ruined. Moisture build-up can imply that there is a high possibility of infection. Avoid such infected broccoli. Likewise, if you are not able to discover any moisture or any kind of infections immediately, ensure to examine it while sufficing.
- Cleaning broccoli: After cutting broccoli, run the pieces through water or a minute or two to flush out any undesirable things. Otherwise, you could put them in a bowl of water immediately after cutting them.
- Cooking broccoli: Due to the above discussed factors, make sure that you do not give raw broccoli to your child. Either boil it or steam it before you provide it to your child. With raw vegetables, there is always a risk of infections. If you wish to give broccoli soup to your baby, sufficed into extremely small pieces and boil it to a degree that the soup has thick consistency. You can include components of your option to make the soup tastier. However prior to serving strain all broccoli pieces using a cloth or a thin filter.