Blue baby syndrome is an unusual condition which is related to a host of congenital abnormalities. The characterstic symptoms associated with the condition can be treated based upon the cause for the blue baby syndrome. This article provides a breif insight into blue baby syndrome.
Blue Baby Syndrome establishes when the blood cannot transfer and convey appropriate quantities of oxygen through the body. The disorder may be acquired; or gotten as a consequence to undue direct exposure to antibiotics, nitrates and fatal chemicals discovered in food and water.
Blue baby syndrome establishes when there happens an elevation in the concentration of methemoglobin, a non oxygen carrying enzyme that is synthesized by the body, that is changed into hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying enzyme, by an enzyme called the methemoglobin reductase. 6 months and younger babies have tiny amounts of this enzyme; hence, the condition gets activated when the baby is exposed to the triggers.
Often cyanosis is brought on by serious heart or lung or hemoglobin (blood pigment) problem. These babies need comprehensive and careful evaluation and timely treatment. The resulting condition is called Genetic Cyanotic Heart Disease. It is actually not one single disease however a group of diseases where baby is blue and is born with flaw in the heart.
Blue Baby Syndrome Symptoms
- Blue discoloration of the skin: Boost in the levels of methemoglobin in the blood results in a decrease in the quantity of oxygen. Accordingly, the skin, fingernails and lips end up being blue. A basic bluish staining is seen at birth, in inherited Blue Baby Syndrome, whilst, in gotten Blue Baby Syndrome, the blue staining develops quickly, and is accompanied by gasping, breathlessness, weariness, fatigue and lassitude and minimized awareness.
- Difficulty in breathing: Elevation of methemoglobin makes the baby less alert, sluggish, and tired. Respiratory distress leads to hard and labored. Increased salivation, convulsions and unconsciousness may occur as well.
- Delayed development: The brain receives little oxygen, hence, mental and physical development is somewhat delayed, seizures might occur, and there may be mental degeneration.
Blue Baby Syndrome Causes
Blue Baby Syndrome establishes when the level of methemoglobin in the blood increases, which occurs since of contamination of the ground water by nitrates (created by the fertilizers, insecticides, etc.), resulting in a decrease in the oxygen bring ability of hemoglobin.
A problem in the heart is another typical cause. Heart disorders that might set off Blue Baby Syndrome consist of:
- Tetralogy of fallot
- Tricuspid atresia
- Hypo-plastic left heart syndrome
- Dextro-transposition of the fantastic arteries
Blue Baby Syndrome Treatment
Prompt diagnosis and immediate treatment are extremely essential for the effective management of the case. The doctor will purchase blood tests, X ray and ECG to determine the right diagnosis.
Treatment depends upon the etiological aspect for the condition and the strength of clinical symptoms. Methemoglobinemia can be easily managed with medicines. Severe heart flaws need particular drugs and/ or heart surgery.
The treatment schedule comprises of: drugs, watchful tracking and open heart surgery. Shunting, arterial switch operation, Fontan procedure and Damus-Kaye-Stansel strategy are the frequently carried out surgeries. These are invasive heart surgeries, and are not always required.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?