“An apple a day keeps the doctor away”. The majority of us have heard this saying during our youth and as we’ve gotten older, we have ended up being oblivious to it. Whoever said it has said it rightly. Medical research in the recent times says that apple is one of the ideal fruits which can enhance our health.
Apples have actually been consumed for thousands of years now. Apples believed to have actually come from Eastern Europe and Western Asia. Historically, intake of apple has actually been observed in Egypt, Babylon and China. The mention of apple can be found in many of cultures. Bible has several instances of apple being pointed out. Scandinavians regarded apple as the “food of Gods”. Even now, apples are among the most popular fruits on the planet. There have to do with 7500 ranges of apples cultivated and every year, thousands of tonnes of apples are produced all over the world. China tops the production list with 35 metric tonnes of apples produced annually.
When it comes to your children, an apple a day just might keep the doctor away. Apples are filled with essential vitamins and minerals to keep your children healthy. They are reasonably inexpensive when purchased in season and they’re flexible. Most children take pleasure in apples, so offer your kids a nutritious and tasty snack that will keep them healthy now and into adulthood.
Apples as baby food
Apples are no doubt good for us. But, what about babies? Can apples be presented in babies’ diet? Yes, they can be presented into baby food. Fruits such as apples can be presented as baby food as soon as, the baby is 6 months old.
Health benefits of Apples
Here, we put forward the advantages of apple. Apples include a huge selection of phytochemicals called flavonoids. These flavonoids have a major role as antioxidants. The health advantages of these antioxidants consist of
- Treat stomach conditions: Moms would have definitely seen that their babies struggle with stomach disorders extremely typically. In such cases, an apple can come in handy. Peeled, mashed and boiled apple can be provided to the baby. Apple can manage stomach disorders. The polyphenols in apple fruit reduce gastric injuries by forming a protective layer on the stomach lining. Try including a teaspoonful of honey to the mashed up apple before serving it. (H K Bakhru, Foods That Heal).
- Constipation and Diarrhoea: Constipation and diarrhoea are other really troubling diseases that babies agreement. Apart from containing lots of nutrients, apples are likewise abundant in dietary fiber which is likewise important for smooth defecation. Feed them with mashed up and boiled apple. Sometimes, constipation can result in diarrhoea and vice versa. Ends up that constipation and diarrhoea occur more or less in cycle one after another. In such cases, where the infant or the baby is struggling with diarrhoea, feeding them with apple juice can likewise be helpful since diarrhoea can be dehydrating. Necessary nutrients and the wetness content in the juice can revitalize your baby in no time. For diarrhoea, use apple juice as secondary medicine but not as main medicine. Consult your paediatrician instantly. (Children and Their Households: The Continuum of Care).
- Dysentery: Dysentery is another disease which is found more often in babies and children than in grownups. Dysentery results from an infection to the big intestine which causes pain in the abdominal area followed by passage of liquid stools. Dysentery is normally brought on by bacterial, protozoan or viral infections. In such cases, ripe and sweet apple can be given as a treatment even in intense and chronic dysentery. Steam, boil and mash ripe apples and give them to your baby several times a day. This treatment has likewise been promoted by the American Medical Association. (H K Bakhru, Foods That Heal).
- Cough: Babies or babies with cough might not be able to get excellent night’s sleep. Sweet apples are effective in decreasing cough. Prepare juice of boiled or steamed apple and give it your child for about a week. Before offering this juice, ensure that your baby is at least 6 months old. (Pediatric Telephone Recommendations).
- Dental disorders: As such this benefit might not be useful for infants who are below the age of 1 year, but, it works for children above the age of 1.5 years as tooth advancement begins during 1 and 1.5 years. Ensure to give your children, slices of apple after their meals every night. Chewing apple not just promotes blood circulation in the gums, but the fiber likewise acts like tooth brush in cleaning the teeth and the gums. Moderate acids present in apple also have an antimicrobial result on the dental bacteria. For this reason, presenting apples to toddlers benefits their dental care and development. (Lynn R. Marotz, Health, Safety, and Nutrition for the Young kid).
Safety measures while serving Apple to babies
There is no doubt that apples are highly healthy and possess lots of health advantages. But, some things need to be kept in mind while offering apple to your child.
- Make certain that your baby is at least 6 months old and is all set for solid foods. Being ready for solid foods is absolutely crucial because, now they would be grown enough to absorb solid food.
- Ask your paediatrician in advance while presenting solid foods and particular foods such as apples. Some children may possess food allergies which have to be validated first.
- Before feeding your baby with apple, ensure to check for allergic reaction symptoms.
- After you make certain that your child is not allergic to apple, you can start feeding them with apples. Before beginning it, ensure to remove apples. In numerous cases, apples are sprayed with hazardous pesticides and insecticides.
- If you are still concerned about the safety of your child, then clean the apples in salt water 2 or 3 times and leave them in hot water which is hotter than coffee for 5 to 10 minutes. (Centre for Science and Environment).
- Make sure that do not feed your child with apples on empty stomach. Apples may be hard to digest early in the early morning. (H K Bakhru, Foods That Heal).
- Buy Organic apples whenever possible: Purchasing natural apples can be a better option when compared with purchasing conventionally grown apples. Apple is among the popular fruits, not only in the United States but also elsewhere. In the US alone, apples make an organisation of about 2.2 billion dollars. A sample study has recommended that about 98% of the apples from traditional farming, had pesticides and chemicals sprayed on them. Another factor for purchasing natural apples is that compared with conventionally grown apples, organic apples taste much better, smell better, have more flesh, are firmer and contain more flavonols. (Forbes, ISHS).
- Wash it thoroughly prior to serving: Rinsing vegetables and fruits under running faucet water is understood to the majority of us. This method was checked at the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station. The research points that cleaning fruits and vegetables under running water is effective and even more efficient is rinsing and rubbing the fruit and vegetables in cleaning off any pesticide residue. It was also noted that detergents used for cleaning off pesticide residues did not lead to the elimination, compared with rinsing under running water.
- Peel the skin: In another study performed in the UK showed that peeling of vegetables and fruits is effective in eliminating pesticide residue. As the majority of the pesticide residue is discovered on the surface area of the vegetables and fruits, cleansing and peeling the external layer has actually been noted to be effective in eliminating pesticide residue. (Daily Mail UK).
- Remove the seeds before functioning as apple seeds consist of cyanide and are dangerous. Eating enough seeds (in one case, one cup of apple seeds) can cause death.
When can I give apple juice to my baby?
Apple juice, as a matter of fact, any fruit juice may contain a greater concentration sugars. When babies or toddlers drink a growing number of juices, there is a higher chance of establishing cavities or tooth decay. On the other hand, the most essential thing to be considered is that when they drink more and more juices, their hunger slowly reduces, resulting in a disinterest for solid foods. This causes poor nutrition.
Inning accordance with UNICEF, Malnutrition is usually viewed to exist just in developing countries, but juice fed poor nutrition is seen in well developed countries such as the United States in well to-do households.
Is it safe to give canned fruits and canned juices to babies?
Feeding your baby with canned food may not be a good idea. Research studies now show that canned food that includes canned juice and canned fruits have greater concentration of lead. Another major point that was kept in mind in the research study was that, the lead concentration increased after the can was opened. After opening, the can was evaluated for lead concentrations initially, 2 days and 5 days later. The lead concentrations observed in the Fifth day were greatest compared to the preliminary findings and after 2 days of the can opening.
Three methods of making Apple Puree for your baby.
- Bake an apple by washing it, eliminating the core, covering it in aluminium foil and placing it in an oven pre-heated to 350 degrees F, 180 deg C for around 45 minutes (or until tender). Then just puree or mash it, adding a little breast milk or formula if the texture is too thick.
- Steam cubes of apple until tender, then either mash or puree as above.
- Simmer apple cubes in a VERY little water up until tender, then either mash or puree as above.
Few Apple dishes for the ‘Apple of your eye’
Apple Dish for 4-6month old
- Apple Punch.
- Baked Apples for Baby.
- Oats & Apple Cereal.
- Standard applesauce.
Apple Dish for 6-9 month
- Apple Porridge.
- Apple Vegetable soup.
Apple Dish for toddlers
- Apple Slices.
- Apple custard.
- Banana and apple bread pudding.
- Apple walnut pancake,.
- Apple Cinnamon Pancake.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?